April 19, 2011

Always the Bridesmaid, Never the Bride

I’ve always been dead set on the idea of not walking down the aisle.  I always thought I would be happy just having someone that I really connect with in my life.  I don’t really need the expense of a wedding and a piece of paper to say “I Love You”.  I guess that stems from the lack of cute old couples in my life, but that’s how I’ve always felt; that I’m just not the marrying kind. 

Ahh, but something happened last week that warmed the cockles of my marriageless heart.  A dear friend asked me to be one of her bridesmaids.  When she popped the question to me I balled like an overgrown baby.  These were not sobs and wails of wedding fear and revulsion, but tears of joy.  Out of all honesty, I am truly honoured and excited to support her along the way.  So, when she asked if I would attend a bridal show with her over the weekend, I was more than ecstatic to join in on the experience.  But, during the days leading up to the show, I was wondering to myself if I was going to catch the Spring Fever, just by attending!  Was I going to be one of the girls, like all of my friends growing up that envisioned her wedding day, a prince charming and a white picket fence?

Well, the answer is NO.  I went, I saw and I conquered.  I think I was a pretty supportive bridesmaid, got my makeup done and ate some cupcakes.  It was overall a great day!  I was more excited about the idea of my friend’s wedding and looking hot in my future bridesmaid’s dress, that sitting back and daydreaming about my own fantasy wedding didn’t really cross my mind.  I had one moment of thinking about my own wedding day when I saw a great vintage inspired gown, but I think that that just has to do with my love of vintage couture.

I may not be the marrying kind but if it ever comes up in the future or yours for that matter, I’ll be full of ideas and wedding advice.  That’s what happens when you’re always a bridesmaid and never a bride.  I think I can handle it.

Till next time

2 comments:

  1. The thing about wedding fever is that it sneaks up on you. You think you're the kind of girl who doesn't want it ever ever never ever (like I did), and then one day out of the blue you find yourself getting sappy over the thought of a million gold origami stars and twinkle lights. It happens.
    I always thought that I would be the bridesmaid, but as it turns out, the gowns were just never as extravagant as the brides get to have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA! Time will tell. Hopefully my bridesmaid's dress will suffice. ;)

    ReplyDelete